You can tell a lot about a certain music group when you compile a best of list. When you strip away all of the filler and look at their best songs and how many great songs they have, that’s when you can truly tell how great they were as an artist. I originally was going to have a top thirty list but managed to get it down to a top twenty, which is no easy task when tackling an artist as great as Van Halen, one of the few music groups I feel could be in the top tier, along with the Beatles, Rolling Stones, Aerosmith, AC/DC, U2, Elton John, Jimi Hendrix and Eric Clapton. However, the top twenty that are here could beat most artists’ top songs.
20. Jamie’s Crying from Van Halen: A good rocker about a woman in trouble.
19. You Really Got Me Now from Van Halen: A rocking love song.
18. Why Can’t This Be Love? from 5150: A love song with some synthesizers, but it still rocks.
17. Ain’t Talking About Love from Van Halen: A dirty rocker. While Sammy Hagar asked for love, David Lee Roth cut right to the chase.
16. Hot For Teacher from 1984: I don’t like this song quite as much as some other people do, which is why it is only at number sixteen, but the music video for this song is a classic on MTV.
15. Spanish Fly from Van Halen II: One of the two greatest guitar instrumentals Eddie Van Halen released on a studio album so far. This one is acoustic.
14. Eruption from Van Halen: Eddie Van Halen’s most classic guitar instrumental. A tremendously rocking song.
13. Top of the World from For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge: An upbeat, inspirational rocker about being on top of the world.
12. Mean Street from Fair Warning: A great rocker that is actually, highly over looked and is about the tough streets of the city.
11. Cabo Wabo from OU812: Van Halen’s Kashmir or When the Levee Breaks. A murky, seven minute long epic work that will take you out of this world.
10. Best of Both Worlds from 5150: An energetic, romantic, upbeat rocker.
9. And the Cradle Will Rock from Women and Children First: A classic rocker about rock and roll from a young age.
8. Beautiful Girls from Van Halen II: A romantic, sexy song that takes you to the beach.
7. Blood and Fire from Different Kind of Truth: A roaring come back song from Van Halen’s newest album with one of my favorite solos.
6. Seventh Seal from Balance: A dark, angsty, abrasive rocker about medieval stuff.
5. Little Guitars from Diver Down: A great rocker about rock and roll.
4. Poundcake from For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge: A sexy rocker with a great music video and guitar solo about romance.
3. Running With the Devil from Van Halen: Van Halen’s most classic song about living on the edge.
2. Unchained from Fair Warning: A true rock and roll song about going wild once the chains have been taken, chains being rules.
1. Panama from 1984: My personal favorite song by Van Halen and a great, classic rocker. I’m not quite sure what this song is about. It could be about Panama City Beach, although I mostly think it is about a slick car.