Metal was best in my opinion during the 1980s and most popular during the 1980s. Most of the classic metal groups both in the glam metal category and typical heavy metal category were big during the 1980s. Van Halen and Def Leppard both started the glam metal trend with their great guitar techniques while other groups like the poppish Bon Jovi and rough edged Motley Crue quickly followed behind them. Guns and Roses became big during the late 1980s with a killer first album called Appetite For Destruction but like Boston they declined shortly after they made their first great album. Ozzy Osbourne made a come back with a couple of great guitarists after being fired from Black Sabbath. His third guitarist would go on to form the great contemporary metal group called Black Label Society. Here are ten of my favorite metal songs from both heavy metal and glam metal. Rev up your guitars and prepare to rock and roll.
10. Pour Some Sugar On Me by Def Leppard: A sexy song about sugar.
9. Unchained by Van Halen: A rocking song about rebellion.
8. Fire It Up by Black Label Society: A very heavy song about painting the town red.
7. Never Enough by LA Guns: A desperate song about how nothing is enough.
6. You Give Love a Bad Name by Bon Jovi: A sexy song about a mischievious woman.
5. Dr. Feelgood by Motley Crue: A heavy song about a drug dealer inspired by Nikki Sixx’s addiction to heroine during the making of their previous album.
4. Rock of Ages by Def Leppard: One of the best rock and roll anthems ever.
3. Crazy Train: A fast moving, typical Ozzy song about how life can be on the edge sometimes, just like Ozzy’s usually is.
2. Panama by Van Halen: One of the ultimate party songs from one of the ultimate party groups.
1. Paradise City by Guns and Roses: One of the most inspirational songs I have ever heard and one of my favorite songs with a great intro, middle and guitar outro.